Politics & Society
- Politics & Society-A filmmaker and a researcher team up to talk about storytelling, protest and digital identity across Europe and beyond it, drawing on their personal and professional experiences. They look at how sharing personal stories can help people connect across borders and embrace the commonalities and differences in their expressions of dissent, and how digital networks can help or hinder this diffusion of ideas and tactics.
Wie bewegt man sich eigentlich im Darknet? Und seit wann ist das Internet zu einem Raum für fertige Gedanken geworden, statt eine Diskussionsplattform zu sein? Der Track “Politics & Society” hat mit knapp 150 Sessions während der re:publica 2017 Antworten geliefert.
- Politics & SocietyI am looking to debate the notion of digital hate. How is digital hate defined, how and why it circulates, how big a problem it is, what is done to counter it. How can we counter hate not from a legal but from a sociological and cultural point of view? Can hate ever be totally eradicated? Can we purge emotions from social media platforms? If love and solidarity exist then hate too must exist - but if this is the case then are we fighting a losing battle? My talk will go over these dilemmas and will propose a new conceptualisation which focuses not (solely) on eradicating hate from social media but on rethinking its social and political functionality and then address it as such.
- Politics & Society-How does Facebook's Newsfeed connect with the rise of online hate speech? Why is EU taking on the wrong lead in regulating this phenomenon? I will argue that the usability of hate speech is of political and economic nature. As long as this fact will not be acknowledged and addressed, hate speech will continue to grow, take new forms and be the false reason for developing internet censorship tools. A new approach to regulation is needed.
- Politics & Society-Taxation is normally a boring issue. But as they say "Hey it's the economy stupid!" and you pay for it.
Based on the #rp17 talk in Berlin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCNjCD7R75E we will update of the talk and provide an further overview why that matter is crucial for Europe. From Berlin, to Dublin to Thessaloniki. What combines this 3 locations with taxation?
We will a provide a quick overview of the international taxation system.
Explaining what a Double Irish Sandwich is. How come international corporations like Google only pay 2.4% taxes. And how your favorite tech companies (Google, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, ... ) evaded billions in taxes. This tax-dodging costs the European Union more than $50 billion. Annually. We bring this numbers into perspective.
- Politics & Society-As our lives becomes increasingly mediated by technology, issues of data protection, privacy and surveillance are becoming ever more relevant to the general public.
Digital Citizen Ireland (digitalcitizen.ie) is a recently launched website and community which began life as a student project with the Digital Skills Academy in Dublin, Ireland. The site aims to promote an awareness of Digital Citizenship and Digital Access to a global audience.
- Politics & Society-For years now, platforms have become more and more dominant in the value chains of retailers, e-commerce and other digital industry.
First started as enablers for small business to reach a worldwide audience, the relationship between platforms and business partners is no longer on eye level.
A relationship in need of change.
Entscheiden bald Computer, wen wir wählen? Ganz so dramatisch wird es vorerst wohl nicht. Aber Algorithmen sind bei einfachen Entscheidungen in der deutschen Verwaltung schon im Einsatz, sagt Mike Weber in seinem Vortrag “Macht Algorithmus Staat”.