5-7th June 2023
Arena Berlin & Festsaal Kreuzberg
Polygenic screening is here. The space of human genetics is being converted into bits, and this information is being bought and sold on an open market.
This 25-minute talk will cover the technical state of the art in human screening, and outline future possibilities.
Part 1: Polygenic Screening Primer
- An overview of the current state of the art in human screening -
- The difference between monogenic and polygenic traits and their inheritance patterns
- A discussion of 21 commonly tested-for diseases and their risk correlations
- The impact of screening on 'designer babies' and the legality, prevalence, and price of these screenings in Europe
Part 2: The Future
- The role of animal breeding techniques in shaping the future of medicine
- A look at current widely used techniques, such as In Vitro Embryo Production, Cloning, and Germline Editing (e.g., with CRISPR)
- An overview of potential breakthroughs in synthetic biology and synthetic morphology
DISCLAIMER: I do not intend to talk about any of the following: eugenics, sexism, ableism, racism. The reason I want to give this talk is exactly because these issues are so difficult, and because we are walking into a new reality with our eyes closed. But I am sensitive to the complexity of these topics, and will avoid inflaming any unproductive conversation. There will be a 5 minute QnA.