Arts & Culture
We are living in the middle of the post-digital age. The Internet is omnipresent – particularly in the arts and in culture. Digital art – from remixes and GIFs, to net-art to virtual reality and interactive text-based adventures –, creative activism and politico-cultural questions on decision-making are all things we want to discuss with you at re:publica 2018. What roles do museums and exhibition spaces play in today's world? What can libraries do to close the digital gap?
This thematic cross-road of a track welcomes your literary bot projects as much as cultural studies of the Twitter-sphere. What about a full theatre piece? Open Culture approaches in cultural institutions, utilisations of archives and the collaboration between FabLabs and high art are on the agenda.
During the re:publica TEN anniversary and re:publica 2017 editions, the developments of Immersive Arts and augmented/virtual reality were explored and made engaging through numerous session formats. This showed us that the urge for participation and immersion socially relevant topics has never been so important. What are the latest developments in VR and what impacts will they have on us as a society?
We look forward to your projects, ideas and topic on arts & culture and are eager to see what kinds of experiences new technologies will offer us in the future.
- Arts & Culture-The Brainstorming meet-up session is calling out on the community to come together in smaller groups in order to discuss their topics of concern and interest and to give us details of their favourite figures, companies and projects in cities within our future international project.
- Arts & CulturePOPCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-“Unlike anything I had seen before. Part performance, part lecture (and parody) it was like watching a live TED meets ‘Black Mirror’ Live special. Terrifying as it was refreshingly original.“ - Forbes
- Arts & CultureImmersive ArtsCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-At the heart of Marshmallow Laser Feast’s work is an enquiry into the nature of being. To truly see ourselves, we must look through the eyes of another.
- Arts & CulturePOP-Zum G20 Gipfel in Hamburg 2017 hat das 1000GESTALTEN Kollektiv eine performative KunstAktion mit über 1200 Menschen realisiert.
In einer zweistündigen Choreographie haben sie ihrer Kritik am G20-Gipfel Ausdruck verliehen und zu mehr Menschlichkeit und Eigenverantwortung aufgerufen.
Die Bilder der grauen Gestalten gingen um die Welt, wurden millionenfach geteilt, das Webvideo zur Aktion hat mehr als 3.000.000 Views.
Das Kollektiv berichtet auf diesem Panel über Hintergründe und Umsetzung.
- Arts & CultureCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-Our heritage is our history and we are losing it through human conflict and natural disasters. Modern technology helps us record and share it before it’s too late.
- Arts & CultureImmersive Arts-How Google is using its technology to empower cultural institutions and artists
- Arts & CultureImmersive Arts-The Berlin based artist group Costa Compagnie took up the subject of oil and conducted interviews in Norway and Iraq, while filming with a 360°-camera, in order to use the footage in an immersive cyclorama-stage and a VR-film. At re:publica 18 the artists will present a summarizing video of their performance series EMPIRE OF OIL and also engage in dialogue with their audience about war and art, crisis and consumerism, VR and reality.
- Arts & CultureMusic & SovereignityCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-We Makes Waves joins forces with other music activists to discuss the pros and sometimes cons of the digital safer spaces and creating IRL events in which to promote and empower each other in the spaces in-between. With the hope of inclusion in IRL, is it possible that the spaces we create digitally become overly complicated because of individual wishes and frameworks that we make up in order to create and bring it out in the event?
- Arts & CulturePOPCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-In welchem Verhältnis stehen digitale Kultur, Populismus und Pop im Jahr 2018 zueinander? Und was bedeutet das für die Zukunft der politischen Ästhetik und der Ästhetisierung der Politik? Das wird an den Beispielen Helene Fischer, The Screenshots und Identitäre Bewegung diskutiert.
- Arts & CultureImmersive ArtsCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-Since in immersive reality set ups we as the viewer are at the center of the action sphere and free to decide where we look or focus our attention and interact with the story, we as writers and directors of immersive stories need to script the viewer's presence. This very special form of relating to a story world is still virgin territory. This presentation is about the attempt of building a coherent methodology to understand and design the viewer's presence into an immersive story world.
- Arts & CultureMusic & SovereignityCreative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Germany (CC BY-SA 3.0 DE)-This talk examines present and future impacts of machine learning applied to music, with a focus on a practical understanding and use of machine learning in the music making process. It will look into tools for composition, synthesizing audio and imitating styles, smart musical instruments, up to matching the listener with the perfectly fitting song. As algorithms invade every aspect of the music creation process, we are asked to reconsider what it means to be a musician in the 21st century.