Science & Technology
It’s true that the re:publica is a society conference – and, because of that, it engages with concepts, “analogue software” and politics a great deal. But we are just as interested in infrastructures and hardware. Rants against invasive ad trackers, for fibre-optic cables and on the irresponsible handling of 0Days are just as welcome as the logbooks from labs, think tanks and universities. Are you a technology anthropologist, a psychologist, a cybersecurity researcher, a historian, a neurobiologist, a sociologist (a, a...) and want to open up your research and allow it to make a broader impact? It doesn’t always have to be a science slam, but: we want to hear from you!
- Science & Technology-Data plays a key role in driving innovation. However, fair growth of society and economy, and data-driven innovation occur when data collection, process, and sharing are performed transparently and with trust.
- Science & Technology-The graduate project from Imperial College and the Royal College of Art explores the challenges of communication and social interaction with drones. It illustrates several ideas for drone programming, covering gesture control, emotion recognition and coding intent.
- Science & Technology-Discover the tools, methods and techniques Turkish citizens have pioneered to detect internet controls, shutdowns and blackouts during national emergencies. Turkey Blocks is Turkey's leading digital rights and internet shutdown observatory, recipient of the 2017 Index on Censorship Freedom of Expression Award.
- Science & Technology-In our midst already we have a cyborg activist who can hear colour through an antenna, a cyborg artist who can sense earthquakes, and a cyborg filmmaker with a wireless video camera for an eye, amongst many others. As part of the growing support for techno-progressive and transhumanist trends, such as the biohacking, biopunks and grinders, more people are augmenting their bodies by DIY methods. Add these developments to the progress made in traditional prosthetics and the trend towards wearable technology, and we realise cyborgs are becoming part of everyday life. What on earth does this mean for our societal and legal norms?
- Science & Technology-
- Science & Technology-
- Science & Technology-I don't think that a world where most of the personal data of the world is stored on servers of a hand full companies is a good one. ownCloud is a free software project that offers a decentralized alternative to proprietary cloud services where everybody can run an own cloud service comparable with Dropbox but on own hardware and with full control.