8-10 June 2022
Arena Berlin & Festsaal Kreuzberg
The Call for Participation (CfP) for re:publica 2020 is closed. The programme team is currently evaluating your submissions. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the CfP! More information about the programme will follow soon.
This page contains everything you need to know for your submission to the Call for Participation for #rp22. We recommend that you read all the information carefully—especially the CfP Guidelines. Compliance with these is a requirement for your participation.
The FAQ contain many tips and details on how to design your session, our formats and all other information.
We can't wait to hear about your ideas!
The Call for Participation ends on 06 February 2022 (23:59 CET).
The Call for Participation for the Off Stage Programme ends on 06 March 2022 (23:59 CET).
re:publica 22: Our festival formats
Finally, after two years, we will meet again "in real life" in June 2022 to discuss the current challenges of our time, to learn from each other, to design and work on projects together, to inspire each other and to have a party together.
For the first time, the programme of #rp22 will be separated into four festival areas:
- Hands On
- Off Stage
- Night Out
Whether live on site or with a "remote session"—shape the next re:publica with your idea!
Submissions for the four core areas can be made in the following formats:
The re:publica conference programme consists of everything that takes place on our stages: From panel discussions and lectures, interviews and fireside chats, to readings, lecture performances and much more.
- Lightning Talk: 1 speaker, 15-minute talk plus 15-minute Q&A
- Lecture: 1 to 2 speakers, 30 minutes or 1 hour including Q&A
- In Conversation With: 2 speakers without moderation, 45-minute talk plus 15-minute Q&A
- Panel Discussion: Up to 3 speakers plus moderator, 45-minute discussion plus 15-minute Q&A
- Live podcast: Live production during the event, no time limit
- Meet Up: Open format for an informal exchange on a topic of interest, possibly light moderation by meet up organisers, 60 minutes
From hardware workshops, free DIY and tinkering to gardening with robots, live biohacking or TikTok dance tutorials: all sessions about making and learning will have their place in the “Hands On” programme. Contributions can be up to 30 minutes, 60 minutes or 120 minutes long (or longer in exceptional cases).
- Workshop: In-depth workshop session with 1-2 workshop leaders
- Tutorial: An intensive learning programme with 1-2 workshop leaders
- Games: Develop, test or play a game together with others at re:publica
Flash mob, field test, installation, exhibition, concert, pop-up happening, cabaret, virtual reality, augmented reality applications ...and whatever else you can think of to fill the festival grounds of #rp22 grounds in artistic, activist, scientific, technological and informative ways.
- Intervention: Temporary action, sometimes interaction with participants, to draw attention to a topic
- Performance: Temporary artistic presentation
- Installation: Fixed object for all three days of the festival
- Contest: Competition of all kinds
- Film: Short or long — we have the screen for your film
- Theater & Musical: Acting project of any kind
- Special: This is the place for surprising and crazy ideas
No festival would be complete without music, dancing and partying. We are looking forward to musicians, DJ sets, karaoke organisers, producers of musicals and everyone who wants to celebrate #rp22 together with all participants and turn night into day.
- DJ Set: You’re in control to deliver the sound of the night
- Karaoke: What can we say, we need more karaoke and sing-a-longs
- Concert: "We are a festival" and that includes music, music, music
- Slams: "Blow our minds!" Show the community what spoken word can do
- Dance: Challenge or ballroom dancing? We have the right dance floor for everything and everyone
The motto: Any Way the Wind Blows
Anyone who has ever attended re:publica knows that the festival always ends with the celebratory and collective singing of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody".
"Any Way The Wind Blows" is the last line of this song. In the search for a motto with which to celebrate the first re:publica, where we will finally be together again after two years of separation, the idea of symbolically picking up where we left off with this motto suddenly seemed as obvious to us as it did emotionally. Because, quite honestly, we are so looking forward to seeing you all again!
The new location on the grounds of Arena Berlin promises a great new beginning. Located on the river Spree, a breeze is omnipresent. "Any Way The Wind Blows" also describes chance and life in its unpredictability and thus fits perfectly as a theme for our programme. It reminds us to be humble when faced with a loss of control, but it also encourages us and promotes optimism. No wind can blow away all those issues that are on our minds, over and over again, and we will face them at rp22.
Our CfP Guidelines are basic rules you must follow if you want to participate in re:publica 2022. You will be asked to mark them as read when submitting your idea.
- Please carefully read our CfP FAQ. You will find answers to technical questions and also clues as to what we think works well or what we don't want to see in the programme. In fact, reading the FAQ can save you and us a lot of time.
- We are looking for ideas giving space to diverse perspectives on a topic. Diversity and gender balance are fundamental for an inclusive community—they represent our philosophy as organisers. (We explicitly welcome people who do not feel they belong to the binary gender paradigm)
- We are looking forward to diverse topics, attitudes and opinions from the entire (democratic!) spectrum.
Blatant advertising and marketing pitches don't stand a chance in our Call for Participation. The participants of re:publica and the Programme Team are looking for captivating and well-researched content addressing solutions and challenges of our digital society.
That doesn't mean that re:publica participants aren't interested in the latest digital products or services. If you would like to showcase your innovation, please contact our colleagues from Partner Management who will be happy to give you more information about the many opportunities to be present at #rp22 via partner at re-publica.com.
For further information regarding the CfP, please see the FAQ.
We are looking forward to your ideas!